Saturday, October 22, 2011

Honey Sesame Chicken & Fried Rice



I adapted a Honey Chicken Recipe and a Fried Rice Recipe to what ingredients I have on hand at home.  The only things I purchased that I don't normally have crammed in a pantry are the sesame seeds and the rice vinegar.  But, I love toasting sesame seeds and adding them to coleslaw and other recipes so I'll use them.  I'm sure I'll make this honey glaze again, so the vinegar isn't a bust either.  Now, here is my adaption of the recipes.


SESAME CHICKEN

Chicken Ingredients
  • 1 c flour
  • 2 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 tsp onion salt
  • 1/4 c cornstarch
  • 1 c milk
  • 1 lb chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
Combine dry ingredients.  Dip chicken into milk, then into dry mix and deep fry at 350 degrees for about 2 minutes, or until pieces float to top of oil.  Drain on paper towels.



Sauce Ingredients
  • 1/2 c water
  • 1 tsp rice vinegar
  • 1 tsp cornstarch + 1 tsp water mixed
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1.5 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 2 Tbsp oil
  • 1/4 c honey
  • sesame seeds

Heat oil in wok or nonstick pan over medium heat.  Add ginger and garlic and saute for 30 seconds.  Add honey, vinegar and water.  Add in cornstarch mix.  Simmer for 2-4 minutes, or until sauce begins to brown. Pour over chicken and mix.  Garnish with sesame seeds.  



FRIED RICE
  • 4 c cooked cold white rice  (if it isn't cold, it makes it sticky and gooey)
  • 2 Tbsp onion flakes
  • 3 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 large eggs
  • 4 Tbsp oil, divided
  • parsley leaves to garnish
Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in wok or nonstick pan.  Add eggs and scramble.  Remove eggs and wash out pan.  Heat remaining 2 Tbsp oil.  Add rice and mix with wooden spoon to prevent clumping.  Heat for about 3 minutes, then add onion flakes and soy sauce.  Heat for additional 2 minutes.  Add eggs and parsley and mix in pan.  Serve hot.



Though the fried rice is a basic recipe, it's not great.  The chicken was quite good and was a major hit with both my kids and my husband.  That is a rare event for me to please them all.  I told my husband next time I wanted Sesame Chicken, we were going to our favorite Chinese restaurant because this took too long.  But since I have done it, I think should I choose to try it again, I'll sail through it in half the time.  I can't say I'll try the rice again though.  I'll stick to a seasoning packet suggested by my sister next time I feel the need to make Chinese at home.  I'm having flashbacks of my homemade egg rolls now.  My kids loved them, but they were a PAIN to make.  Sometimes  I think takeout is okay.

Stephee 





No comments:

Post a Comment