Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Mexican Corncakes


I recently became addicted to a show called Diners, Drive-In's and Dives on Food Network.  Guy went to a little place serving up some of the most delicious looking food one day.  It was all Venezuelan food.  The next show had a similar restaurant and focused on a dish called pupusas.  For some reason I have not been able to get what I imagine these things taste like out of my mouth or my head.  I've looked up recipes, including the one on Guy's website.  Unfortunately, getting any kind of "special" ingredients is hard where I live.  I'm looking at a one hour commute for some of these items.  For a girl on a tight budget, it's not plausible.  Sticking to the my-palate-craves-all-things-spicy frame of mind last night, I wandered into the kitchen and stared at my pack of chicken tenderloins.  After about 20 minutes (not counting the half hour spent uselessly searching Google for "easy chicken recipes") I just started pulling things out of the pantry.  I warned my husband I was going to experiment, and he was free to have 911 on standby or to come watch.  He didn't watch.  Things turned out well.  My kids ate their vegetables and "pancakes" as they called them.  I might have had a bit more of a response had they actually been covered in syrup.  But they cleared their plates, eating things they normally don't eat.  So here goes the thrown together recipe.

Corncakes

  • 1 packet cornbread mix
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 tsp onion salt
  • 1 tsp parsley flakes
  • 1 tsp cilantro flakes
Prepare cornbread mixture according to packet.  I used white cornbread mix.  Stir in seasonings.  Heat skillet on medium high heat with and spray with nonstick spray.  Pour in 1/4 of the batter.  Heat until the edged begin to bubble, just like a pancake.  Flip.  Heat for 2-3 minutes.  Continue with the remaining batter.


Toppings

  • 4 chicken breasts
  • 1 packet fajita seasoning
  • shredded Colby jack cheese
  • 1 can pinto beans
  • 1 can whole kernel corn
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • sour cream
  • parsley flakes
  • cilantro flakes 
Dice chicken breast and prepare according to direction on fajita seasoning packet.  Once chicken is prepared, heat beans and corn.  Build corncakes with toppings as follows: cheese, beans, chicken, corn, tomatoes, sour cream, parsley, cilantro.






No comments:

Post a Comment