Monday, October 17, 2011

Pepperoni Pizza Pockets



As you can see, I played around with the shape of my crescent rolls when making these.  I couldn't take another frozen pizza.  My girls were browsing through my recipes with me, and we saw one for pizza bites.  It was supposed to be canned biscuits cut up, rolled in cheese and pepperoni, and then baked.  While I was picking my crescent roll dough for another recipe, I saw Pilsbury has garlic butter flavored rolls.  Sounds perfect for pizza rolls to me!  So, the following is what ended up being created in my kitchen tonight.


Ingredients

  • 2 cans garlic butter crescent rolls (regular flavor will work of course)
  • 1 c Italian style panko bread crumbs
  • 1 package pepperoni, chopped
  • 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 0.25 c grated Parmesan cheese
  • handful of real bacon bits
  • 1 jar of pizza sauce

Directions


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Mix pepperoni, bacon pieces and Parmesan cheese.




3. Spread bread crumbs on a clean surface.  



4. Roll out dough onto crumbs.  If making pockets, press seams of two triangles together to form a square.  Otherwise, separate triangles and coat both sides with crumbs.



5. Top dough with pepperoni and mozzarella.




6. To form pockets, pull opposite corners together in the center, and press firmly to seal. To make a stuffed pizza slice, add a second piece of dough and pinch together seams.  For crescents, simply roll.



7. Bake until dough browns, approximately 20 minutes.  Serve with pizza sauce.




I tasted these, and they were fantastic.  They smell delicious when you are preparing them, so if you aren't hungry when you start you should be by the time you are finished.  It only took me about half an hour to get everything done, including clean up.  These are much better than a frozen pizza or a frozen pizza pocket.  It's a tie with our homemade pizzas though.  The panko crumbs add a crunch to the soft dough, so don't leave those out if you can help it.  I hope you try these and enjoy them.  I have 2 more cans of the garlic butter crescents to use for tomorrow's experiment which will include chicken and cream cheese.  Stay tuned!

Stephee

1 comment: